What We Believe
We believe in . . .
- one God, eternally existing in three Persons, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit
- the Old and New Testaments as inspired by God and inerrant in the original writings
- the Creation of man by the direct act of God
- the incarnation and virgin birth of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ; His identification as the Son of God; His substitutionary atonement for the sins of mankind by shedding His blood on the cross; the resurrection of His body from the tomb; His ascension into Heaven; His personal, bodily, imminent pre-millennial return; His power to save men from sin;
- the new birth through the regeneration of the Holy Spirit and the gift of eternal life by the grace of God
- a literal Heaven, the final abode of the saved and literal Hell, the final abode of the unsaved
Gibson City Bible Church is an outgrowth of evangelistic tent meetings which were held in the summer of 1950 on the vacant lot where our first church was built. The Rev. John Lanting, of Muskegon, Michigan, was the evangelist.
A number of people were converted to Christ in the 1950 meetings, and they desired a church in this city where they could meet together and work together for the salvation of others. A ten-man council was organized to lead the Gibson City Bible Church. They first met at the home of Carl Young on October 10, 1950.
Members of the council were Lewis Birky, Earl Birkey, John Bruehl, Justis Detweiler, R. D. Emerson, Lloyd Heiser, Willard Heiser, David Schiavo, Orval Schrock, and Carl Young. Carl Young was the first chairman of the council, Willard Heiser was the secretary, and Lewis Birky was the first treasurer. John Bruehl was the first Sunday School superintendent. When Carl Young resigned, Nelson Sommer was named to replace him.
A constitution for the church was approved in July 1951. At this time applications were made available for church membership.
Early meetings of the church were held in the old Alexander Chapel on East 8th street next to the Farmers Grain Elevator. The original church, located at 301 S. Melvin Street, was dedicated on October 19, 1951. The church used students from Wheaton College and Moody Bible Institute until their first pastor was called in 1952.
On December 7, 2003 we had our first service in our brand new building located at 309 N State Route 47.
|1. J.A. Heiser||1952-1964|
|2. James Pollard||1965-1968|
|3. James Walsh||1969-1973|
|4. Merle Conklin||1974-1982|
|5. Thomas Condron||1983-1994|
|6. Paul Thomason||1995-|